A cupcake is a miniature version of cake that can serve one person and this dessert originated in USA!
Facts about cupcake
- The cupcake is also known as fairy cake or patty cake.
» In England, it is called fairy cake.
» In Australia, it is called patty cake.
- The cupcake was called 1234 cake or quarter cake.
It was called 1-2-3-4 cake because the main 4 ingredients used in the recipe were measured using cups. The four ingredients are: one cup of butter, two cups of sugar, three cups of flour, and four eggs.
- There are two theories, why it is called cupcake.
» The ingredients for the cupcake were measured in cup, instead of weighed.
» Earlier, the utensil used to bake cupcake was a teacup.
- The 1st cupcake recipe can be traced back to the year 1796.
The recipe “a cake to be baked in small cups” can be found in a cookery book named “American Cookery” by Amelia Simms.
- The 1st book to mention the name cupcake can be traced back to the year 1828.
The earliest documentation of the word “cupcake” is mentioned in a cookery book named “Seventy-Five Receipts for Pastry, Cakes, and Sweetmeats” by Eliza Leslie.
- Cupcake is such a popular dessert in the United States that it has three national days reserved for it.
» 18th of October is National Chocolate Cupcake Day
» 10th of November is Vanilla Cupcake Day
» 15th of December is National Cupcake Day