The Eiffel Tower is called “La Tour Eifel” in French. The nickname of Eiffel Tower is Iron Lady (French: La Dame de Fer).
The Eiffel Tower is a lattice structure. It has a wide square base at the bottom and gradually tapers towards the top.
It is one of the most widely recognized landmarks in the world. It is a popular tourist destination in Paris, the capital of France.
Approximately 7 million people visit the Eiffel Tower annually. 90% of them are international visitors. In 2010, the Eiffel Tower had its 250 millionth visitor!
15 Facts About The Eiffel Tower:
- The Eiffel Tower is named after Gustave Eiffel.
Gustvae Eiffel’s company designed and built the Eiffel Tower. Eiffel Tower is named after Gustave Eiffel.
- The design of the Eiffel Tower was decided by the French government through a competition.
In 1887, the French government held a competition with three constraints, for building the entrance of the world fair that was to be held on 1889:
1. A French nationality must submit the design.
2. The material must be available in France.
3. The tower must be over 300 m (1000 ft) high.
- The Eiffel Tower was designed by Gustave Eiffel’s Company named ‘Compagnie des Établissements Eiffel’.
♦ The Gustave Eiffel’s Company “the Compagnie des Établissements Eiffel”, entered the completion and won.
♦ It was designed by structural engineer Maurice Koechlin and Émile Nouguier.
♦ The architect Stephen Sauvestre designed the decorative arches of the Eiffel Tower.
- The Eiffel Tower was built to provide arched entrance to “Exposition Universelle” world’s fair.
The Exposition Universelle world’s fair was held in Paris from May 5, 1889 to October 31, 1889. The fair marked the centennial anniversary of Prise de la Bastille (storming of the Bastille). The storming of Bastille was an historical event that symbolized the start of the French Revolution.
- It took 2 years, 2 months and 5 days to build the Eiffel Tower.
The construction of Eiffel Tower began in January 28, 1887 and it was finished in March 15, 1889. It took 2 years, 2 months and 5 days to build the Eiffel Tower. It was officially opened on March 31, 1889.
- The Eiffel Tower was supposed to be dismantled.
The Eiffel Tower was built for the Exposition Universelle world’s fair in 1889. It was a temporary structure and was not supposed to stand for more than 20 years. The tower was not dismantled as it proved valuable for transmitting signals. Presently, there are more than 120 antennas for radio and TV in Eiffel Tower.
- 72 names are engraved in the Eiffel Tower.
To honor 72 French people who contributed to the building of the tower, their names are engraved on the borders of each of the four sides of the Eiffel Tower. These men have contributed to engineering, chemistry, mathematics and physics.
- The Eiffel Tower is 324 m (1,063 ft) tall.
The height of the Eiffel Tower is 324 m (1,063 ft). The sun’s heat causes thermal expansion in the structure. Hence, it can expand 6” due to thermal expansion. But, the change is temporary.
- There are 3 floors/levels/stories in the Eiffel Tower.
♦ The 1st level is 189 ft (57.63 m).
There is a restaurant named “Le 58 Tour Eiffel”.
♦ The 2nd level is 380 ft (115.73 m).
There is a restaurant named “Le Jules Verne”.
♦ The 3rd level is 896 ft (273 m).
There is an observation deck to view the city Paris.
- The Eiffel Tower is made of wrought iron.
The wrought iron weighs 7,300 tons. If antennae, shops and lifts are included, it weighs 10,100 tons. There are 18,000 metal parts. It is held together by 2,500,000 rivets.
- The Eiffel Tower is bronze colored.
Currently, when it was painted in 2013, it was bronze colored. Initially the structure, was red-brown color. The color since then has been changed to brown, yellow and bronze.
- The Eiffel Tower was the tallest building in the world for 42 years.
The Eiffel Tower is no longer the tallest building in the world. But, it was the tallest building in the world for 42 years from 1889 to 1931.
- The Eiffel Tower is painted every 7 years.
As the Eiffel tower is exposed to harsh weather, it can rust. To prevent the rusting, paint is applied. The Eiffel Tower is painted every 7 years. It takes about 18 months to paint using lead free paint. It requires about 60 tons of paint.
- The light is lit from sunset to midnight in the Eiffel Tower.
20,000 bulbs are used to light the Eiffel Tower from sunset to midnight.
Every hour for 5 minutes the lights sparkle. When the sparkle lights are ON, the regular yellow light is switched OFF.
- The Eiffel Tower is located in Paris, France by the banks of the river Seine.
Champ de Mars,
5 Avenue Anatole France,
The Eiffel Tower Statistics:
|Type||Observation & broadcasting tower|
|Cost||7,799,401 French gold francs|
|Opening||March 31, 1889|
|Owner||City of Paris, France|
|Height||324 m (1,063 ft)|